Friday, September 19, 2008

My beautiful election enters its dark phase.

Peggy Noonan is well on her way to becoming my favorite columnist. Today's piece just put it over the top for me. I mean:
Bambi is playing Chicago style.

There's a musicality to that line that has been resonating with me all morning.

Noonan also has voiced a thought I've been having for almost a year now:
A final point. Do you ever have the passing thought that the presidential election doesn't matter as much as we think? Whoever wins will govern within more of less the same limits, both domestically and internationally. A New York liberal leaning toward Mr. McCain told me this week he has no fear that Mr. McCain may be a more militant figure than Mr. Obama. We already have two wars, "we're out of army." Even if Mr. McCain wanted a war, he said, he couldn't start one.

The funny thing about this idea is how vehemently my friends, both liberal AND conservative react to this idea.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris Panza said...

I don't read her much, but I've read her now and again and this seems to be a familiar thread.

I'd agree that neither may be up to the task. I don't know. I was talking to someone today about this, and I said that I had no idea whether Obama could handle it, or whether his policies would work.

That said, I like the man's disposition (even if, as Noonan wants us to keep in mind, he too is a politician). He's smart, he's open minded, I get the impression that he actually considers different points of view. He strikes me as a cautious and patient thinker. In other words: he seems to me to be someone with good judgment. Moreover, McCain strikes me as a cynic, whereas Obama, for all the hype, really does strike me as an optimist who is genuinely more qualified to pull the country together as opposed to polarize it further.

I honestly cannot say the same about McCain, for reasons that would make this a too-long reply. As a result of this distinction in basic character and disposition (and outlook), there seems to me to be a big difference between them worth making a choice over.

And that doesn't even address the notion of actual positions.

3:08 AM  
Blogger Chris Panza said...

Oh, by the way -- did you get the pictures I sent of the new kid? Half the people I sent the pics too never got the email (spam filter, I think, I sent it from Picasa). Just checking, since so many didn't get them.

3:25 AM  
Blogger Jonah said...

I agree substantively with your comments Chris. Bloomberg was on This Week yesterday and I think he it best when he said, to paraphrase, that it doesn't matter very much this year what their positions are. What is more important, is their temperament. In that regard, I think Obama wins without question. McCain has shown himself, especially in the last few weeks, that his snap decisions, while sometimes right (like the surge) are often unmeasured and completely erratic (like firing Cox or naming Palin as his VP). I used to admire him for his principled stand against the worst instincts of his own party, but his willingness to throw everything overboard in his campaign is just too much for me.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Chris Panza said...

I believe George Will (surprisingly) has just written a column in the Washington Post saying basically the thing we just agreed on.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is a private man who likes to keep all of his secrets to himself. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bayswater Bags[/url] The company doesn't make it easy for you to use iTunes with any non-Apple device. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose online[/url] Sqitcvcpu
http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk Cjkoaccra [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose coats[/url] kjnuzalfz

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home