Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Papal Furor

Here's a translated transcription of the Pope's speech. To be honest, I'm not sure i understood it in all its nuance (my mind strarted to wander near the end) but the section relevent to Islam is clear. He is making a critique, but I think one that may be justifiable (I don't know enough about Islam to say for sure).
It is clear that there are many places in the world where Islamic practices are forced upon people. Whether or not that is from the religion or the people who practice it, I don't know.

As for Il Papa, this is the first thing I've ever heard about him. Up until now I was instictually distrustful (I think it was because of those beady little rat eyes). Based on this speech, however, I have to say good job to the Cardinal College. He'll get my vote when he comes up for reelection. How long is his term again?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that the general response to this speach has ignored the fact that he was quoting a translation of a conversation between a long deceased emperor of a long-defunct empire, and a long deceased scholar of another long-defunct empire. What a perfect display of irrationality.

he does have beady little rat eyes though, doesn't he?!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home