Thursday, October 12, 2006

Factoid

About me:

I like jokes that nobody gets. You'll find them littered about my posts, little references that only make sense, or even appear if you know all of the things I know. Actually, I guess you won't find them.
Case in point, the title of this blog: I'm not going to explain it in detail, but suffice it to say that there are two moments written about in the Bible that have a particularly strong resonance. The first, is when one confronts that which is. As some might put it, we remove the mask from the fool, if only for a moment. That moment, which for some people repeats ad nauseum through life, is what gives us direction, but it can also lead to hope, sometimes despair. At its best, I hope that this blog occasionally offers a dim reflection of some of those moments in my life, when I have faced down a burning bush. Thus the title of this blog

The second moment in life, reflected in my pseudonym (barely), can, perhaps be called the MLK moment. It is the instantiation of glory, albiet short lived and impermanent. It is the moment when you see the completion of your life's work (or what you thought your life's work was) and you have a brief shot of triumph, until you taste the ash of realization that, a) your work is in no wise done and b) you will never reap the reward of your efforts.

See what I mean about jokes that no one will ever get?

Here's a (slightly) less pompous joke that I always enjoy on October 12th:
1. I was born on the day Columbus "discovered" America.
2. Colombo is Greek for dove.
3. My given name is Hebrew for...dove.

How cool is that?

There's more to this, involving Noah (releasing a dove to find dry land) and Jesus (who saw God descending as a Dove) and several other connections that especially appeal to me now that I'm old enough to be crucified (there I go again!) but I'll stop here.

Happy Birthday to me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger exnihil said...

Two guys walk into a bar.

The first guy says to the second, "Did you know that a near homophone of your middle name is French for a near homophone of your last name?"

The second guy ducks.

Happy Birthday from a recalcitrant non-writer.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Jonah said...

That's funny on so many different levels...
On a slightly related note, a Google search of the phrase "near homonym of my middle name" returns many interesting sites, two of which are: www.liminalityland.com/personalstatement.htm
and
www.mit.edu/~kedlaya/index.html

6:54 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

glad you can share a sense of humor with someone out there.... ;)

happy birthday!!

talk to you soon.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey -- Happy Birthday. We're getting old!

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home